Tuesday, November 15, 2005

blogthink

I've been thinking a lot, amongst other things, about why I blog. And I know that there were other reasons to start with but at the moment I've whittled it down to two things.

1) I need a dumping ground for the amount of thoughts that I have and pieces of crap that I writed.

2) I like documenting what I'm doing. Next year, for example, I want to be able to look in the ol' archives and see what I was up to in '05, remember what being a Fresher was like, look at the pictures and stories I left here.

I also decided that at the moment I have two kinds of post.

1) Angst-ridden, I hate/love/don't understand the world posts in which I behave like a drama queen and use tortured analogies to try and get some of it off my chest. I think this is something I need to do. Whether I should be doing it publicly or not is another matter entirely.

2) Posts in which I try and cram enough information as possible about what I've been doing. One every few days, the condensed version of what's been going on, only the interesting bits. These might well give the impression that my life is far more jam-packed than it really is - apologies for misleading you. These are because I don't want to forget all this stuff. But, again, is the internet really the best place to be doing it?

I think a blog made up of introverted monologues is boring. I also think a blog made up of lists of crazy Fresher antics is boring and kind of vain. Actually it's all a bit vain, but having made a website that's all about myself, I realise I'm running that risk anyway.

In the good old days, I used to talk about stuff, rather than just bleating about myself the whole time. Remember when I used to get angry about stuff? How we laughed. When did that stop happening? When did I stop ranting and start whinging? Hmm.

I guess all I really want this to be is a narrative. Whatever form it takes, this'll just be what I did at that time, what I thought. The fact that I'm not ranting about Europe anymore is just another way in which my priorities have changed. It's not good or bad, it's just where I am right now. I don't want to force anything, I'm not going to bullshit. If it works, it works, if not, who cares? That wasn't really the point.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home